Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Water, the 8th Grade Girl

Just a quick update:

Off to Nurse Rockstar's class to get back our FIRST exam! Yikes! I felt like it wasn't hard, but, then again, so did everyone else. I'll let you know how it goes. In that class, we're starting to study hydrostatic pressure and oncotic pressure. Fun, huh?! Actually, it is so cool. Basically, all you really have to know, is that water follows, um, non-water. It's drawn to it. It's like that eighth grade girl who has a crush on some guy and follows him around everywhere while scribbling his last name (after her first name) all over her notebook. (Of course, I never did that...) Anyways, so when someone has edema (swelling), you have to figure out why water is following something out of the veins into surrounding tissue. It's elementary, my dear Watson. I think it's pretty stinking cool.

Agent Bedpan is teaching us about nursing diagnoses. And goal setting. And interventions. When I see a patient, I need to figure out what is wrong, and what COULD go wrong. Then, I set a goal for the patient (what the patient is supposed to do. I.e. get out of bed every four hours.) Then, I come up with my intervention, i.e. Assist patient in getting out of bed every four hours. And for all of this, I need to provide a rationale: Getting out of bed will improve patient's circulation. Capish? How do you spell Capish anyways? I only know the word because Blossom used to say it on her show, and I thought it sounded cool. Of course, none of the students I go to school with have even heard of Blossom.

So, now, I need to read about edema and pressure and water and so on. And eat. I shant forget to eat. I hope you are feeling blessed. See you later!

P.S. As an aside, I had to take all three of my kids to school with me today because they all had a snow day. As we were leaving, Archie (my 4 year old) slid on the ice and fell. He atood back up super-embarassed. Almost immediately, two college guys who were walking near us slipped nearly simultaneously and fell on their behinds. Archie saw how funny it was and felt, well, cool. God provides in the most curious ways.

0 comments: